Wednesday 20 February 2013

Cat in the hat peg dolls

Pin It
Cat in the hat peg dolls


Since making our Nativity Peg Dolls I've wanted to make some more, that combined with our new found love of Dr Seuss books I decided to make some Cat In The Hat peg dolls for a story bag that I'm making.



Cat in the hat peg dolls

Despite finding loads of great peg doll ideas on Pinterest (here's my peg doll board), I couldn't find any Cat In The Hat ones except these from Zakkalife of Thing 1 and Thing 2.  So, step one was to plan what they'd look like.

Cat in the hat peg dolls

Next up I applied an acrylic paint base coat to faces and in the cats case I covered it all in grey, mostly because I initially wasn't quite sure how to design the colours.  

Cat in the hat peg dolls

Then I added the next layer of colours.

Cat in the hat peg dolls

And finally I added faces and accessories.  The faces were made using a Sharpie permanent pen, the hat was made of white felt and I painted the red stripes with fabric paint, whilst the Thing's hair is a pom pom.

cat in the hat peg dolls

Here's the finished product, and 'yep' I'm quite pleased with myself! 

Cat in the hat peg dolls

And, a view from behind.  

The boys have had a quick play and I'm really looking forward to reading the boys the Cat In The Hat story with them, come back soon as I have more to add to our story sack.

Plus, if you've never read Dr Seuss or The Cat In The Hat I really encourage you to give them a try, I never read them as a child, but am thoroughly enjoying them now and the boys are enthralled by the stories.  Here's a couple of our favourites.....


                  

22 comments:

  1. These are so cute and fun! Super well done! Pinning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing on our Dr. Seuss Virtual Book Club for Kids! They are so cute, I know my daughter will love making them. I hope you join us next month for Julia Donaldson Book Club. We'd love for others to join too http://www.theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2013/02/30-ways-to-have-fun-with-lorax-by-dr.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness, we were playing with peg dolls today, i was just thinking i needed to make some more. I have a whole bag of blanks. Love yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm a bit peg dolls mad at the moment Bud has requested Ninjas next. I've pinned a few if you're looking for inspiration.

      Delete
  4. These are brilliant, I love how much fun they are and give loads of opportunity for storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are delightful Hannah, you are clever! Lucky boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THey are lovely!! I especially like thing 1 and thing 2 :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are super cute. I pinned them onto my Dr Seuss idea board.
    http://pinterest.com/jmommymom/

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fantastic. Dr Seuss books are excellent for the kids, and those who love them will love this activity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are learning about Dr. Suess in preschool this week and I must make these! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are amazing I love them xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so adorable!! What a great idea! I am featuring you this week at For the Kids Friday! Thanks for sharing this at last week's party!!! Stop by and grab a featured button!! Hope to see you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do such a great job of creating peg dolls! I featured your post and photo in my 50+ Montessori-Inspired Dr. Seuss Activities post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2013/02/28/50-plus-montessori-inspired-dr-seuss-activities/

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are adorable! I am co-hosting Mom's Library with True Aim and I featured them on my blog, Ready-set-read.
    Thanks!
    http://www.ready-set-read.com/2013/02/dr-seuss-activities-and-moms-library.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are adorable!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are awesome! Such a fun, creative idea!

    Thanks for sharing your creativity and linking up at TGIF! I featured this today at TGIF here: http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2013/03/tgif-linky-party-65-thanks.html

    Feel free to grab an I was featured button if you like and I look forward to seeing you linked up again later today =-)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable!!!

    Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea! I'm sure you are getting a ton of play time with those little figures, too! Thank you for sharing this with us. We wanted to let you know we will be featuring your post tomorrow on Share It Saturday at sugaraunts.com. We will also be sharing with our Facebook followers. If you would like to stop by, here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sugar-Aunts/406711342711382?ref=hl
    We always love to see your ideas on Share It Saturday!
    Colleen at www.sugaraunts.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are just plain awesome! I am featuring your post tomorrow on Share It Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So stinkin' CUTE!! Featuring these tomorrow on the Sunday Showcase! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...