Friday 11 May 2012

Rainbow rice

Pin It

I know rainbow rice is all over the blogging world as a fun kids activity, but as we're a new blog we've never posted about it and I thought it might be helpful to others to know how we keep the play going so that this isn't a 5 minute activity, but something that captures the boys attention for a longer.

If you've never made rainbow rice it's basically white rice (whatever grain is cheapest for you) dyed with food colouring.  Some people recommend adding alcohol hand gel or vinegar to help the colour stick, but we just add rice and a few drops of colouring to a sandwich or zip lock bag, squidge it about it a bit until the rice is coloured, let it air dry, then it's ready to play with.


The first way we play is pouring, scooping, spooning etc.  I normally give the boys a few cups, spoons, maybe a funnel and bowl and above Champ is using the water refill jug from the iron (much better use for it!).  This keeps the play going for quite sometime, but when things slow then we swap some of the cups for.....


.... trucks and cars!  What works best are dumper trucks or diggers as they are designed for digging and carrying then the rice can be used as a sand substitute.  That keeps us going longer, but when that gets dull, we bring out.....


..... the cake cases, ice cube trays, cookie cutters etc and go for a bit of 'cooking'.  Whisks, wooden spoons and bowls are always popular as are birthday candles.  I have had many a rice 'birthday cake'!

I gave this a two splat rating as rice always ends up on the floor and we always lose some, but its actually not too messy especially if you're not doing it on carpets.  I then store the rice in a large plastic milk jug, I use the funnel to pour it in, but the jug makes it really easy to pour back out again.

How do you play with rainbow rice?

If you like this you may also like...
Jelly Play

5 comments:

  1. Lovely blog you have. I'm following you from Mam Mia's LInky. Hope you'll visit my blog sometime: Kindergarten & Preschool for Parents & Teachers. Looks like a lot of fun at your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for stopping by. I stopped by your blog too, loved the me-time post!

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh, I love rainbow rice! We've made only red and blue so far since I didn't realize how much food coloring I needed. I can't wait to make more because it's so much fun. Great gadgets to add to your rice play, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great ideas!! We haven't tried rainbow rice yet, but will one of these days. Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love rainbow rice too! I've only made it once, as a blue "ocean" in a sensory tub. It was a big hit! Thanks for linking up to the Weekly Kids Co-op.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...