Monday 21 May 2012

Homemade Puffy Paint

Pin It


I'd seen a few posts about homemade puffy paint at Play at Home Mum, Mommy Labs and Mom's Craft Space, so thought we'd give it a go.


The actual recipe we used was equal parts self raising flour and salt, a good squirt of ready mixed paint then enough water to get the right consistency.  Bud helped me with the mixing.


Then we got painting!  In our first painting session we used Q-tips (cotton buds) which worked really well.  It's best applied quite thickly onto card and then you pop it in the microwave  for about 10 seconds.


The results are really cool and my photos completely don't do it justice, it literally puffs up so its like 3D painting, but it's also hard.


This is the best picture I got of it puffed up (sorry not great!).  I did this one, but what it doesn't show is the really cool texture it creates, plus the boys loved the idea of putting their pictures in the microwave!


The next day as we still had a lot of puffy paint left so I popped it into sandwich bags and chopped off the corner so the boys could pipe the paint.  This was good fun too, but the paint came out quickly and was soon gone, but making it thicker on the card made it even puffier.

Two days worth of painting and lots of fun!

If you're new here why not sign up to receive my blog via email or become a follower?  You can do this on the top right hand side of my blog - Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, we did this at Easter but I hadn't thought to pipe it. We'll have to try it again with a piping bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pinning this to our summer pin it list thankyou for your ideas :) I found your link on the linky party so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your mess rating... how hysterical! I have two boys also and one especially is our "mess maker" the other tells on his brother for making messes! haha :) I would LOVE to have you join our Saturday Show & Tell at Cheerios and Lattes. My readers would love your puffy paint! :)
    Have a great weekend!
    Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done this with my kids too. I think it was a great idea to squeeze it out of a bag. Your results were much cooler than ours. Great work. Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was one of our most-clicked links at last week's party. it will be featured at tip-toe thru tuesday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I think I might even enjoy the piping aspect!

    I'd love if you'd link up to my Teaching Time for Toddlers post!

    http://philwife.blogspot.com/2012/05/teaching-time-for-toddlers-tuesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope that you do not mind I have just linked through to your blog from mine thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course not! Delighted that you got to try out puffy paint, just off to check out your blog!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...