Monday 23 April 2012

I am a robot!

Pin It

So what kid doesn't love a box?  Crazy, but true.  You buy all those toys and then you give them a box and it'll keep them entertained for hours, they'll fly to the moon, sail a pirate ship, create a cave or turn it into a knights armour!  All have been done by our boys, plus more.  Fortunately, we have a lot of boxes due to having a lot of nappies to change!


So when the next two nappy boxes were empty I dutifully handed them over to Bud and Champ who promptly asked for arm and head holes to be cut in them!  Here they are chatting to Little Dude in robot voices!!  So I thought fab I'll get them to help me decorate them and we'll jazz them up into shiny robot suits.


So I got my box of goodies ready, got the foil out and some leftover Christmas paper, found some old bottle tops and readied my glue gun (new favourite piece of kit, slightly sad, but I do lurve a good bit of stationery!).  Then I sat the boys down ready for a mega craft session, great I thought I'm such a crafty Mum - then the boys showed NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER!  Actually, that's not entirely true they were interested in running off with the wrapping paper and stomping on the foil, not exactly what I had in mind!  Humph, disappointed Mummy!  No problem, in a rare moment of quick thinking, I handed them a few bits of tin foil which they thoroughly enjoyed playing with (might write about that another time) whilst I set about making my robot masterpieces!

OK, now given the end results maybe I should have lied and said my three year old made this!  But, nope it was all me (and I quite enjoyed myself!).  So I covered one of the boxes with wrapping paper stuck on a piece of paper, stuck on some milk lids (that's right I used my glue gun - yey!) and stuck some pipe cleaners into the box and wrapped them round my finger a bit so they looked a bit wire like.


Ta da!  A robot!  Champs robot voice and walk are pretty hysterical, imagine stiff arms and legs walking round going 'I-am-a-robot'.  I only covered one box in the end, but they had great fun taking it in turns pretending to be robots!  Plus, I put the wrapping paper on so that you can flatten the whole box without tearing the paper so our robot outfit is stored behind a chair ready for a bit more pretend play one rainy day!  A success in the end after all, phew!

8 comments:

  1. Love it! Such a fun, simple project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Thanks so much for sharing with Tuesday Tots. I am featuring this tomorrow. Please drop by, check it out, and link up for next week! (I also pinned this to the Tuesday Tot board!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Just this morning my son woke up talking in his robot voice. We will definitely have to take the time to make him one of these. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youve got to love little robot voices! It's when they do the walk too that gets me! Hope you had fun!

      Delete
  4. Oh my! I never thought of using a diaper box to create a "costume!" We have plenty of those too. Thanks for the great idea and for sharing on the Weekly Kid's Co-op! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the few advantages of changing all those bottoms!

      Delete
  5. Great idea! May make robot for our next Book character dress up day.
    Lynn-neveradullmoment.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lynn, I hope you get to make a robot. I just checked out your blog and see you're a mum to boys too! I liked the tie dye Tshirts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...