Friday 4 January 2013

Outdoor Torch Play (Don't be scared of the dark) & Outdoor Play Party

Pin It


Occasionally the boys tell me that they are scared of the dark, Champ in particular doesn't like the dark outside.  With the early winter nights when we go pick up Bud from his after school class it's already very dark so to help the fear factor we've started using torches.
Hubby and Champ get their torches ready....


.... Champ playing with his torch...


..... then once we'd picked Bud up, he got in on the torch action too. 


This made our scary walk a lot of fun and banished all fears of the dark.  Now, when one of the boys says they're scared of the dark at bedtime I just hand them a torch and they don't worry anymore.

Plus, I don't have the excuse of not going outside for playtime because it's dark!

In fact, they like the dark so much now this is them having breakfast in the dark the next morning!





Now, to the Outdoor Play Party! Lots of lovely outdoor play ideas linked up last time, my favourite was from Kindling and is their Adventurer's essentials pack.  I recently made my nephew a den building kit, but this version is way better and the first outdoor version I've seen - check it out!


I'm really looking forward to seeing all your outdoor play ideas this week.   


26 comments:

  1. I wish it was dark enough to need torches where we are - there is so much light pollution that even in the back garden we can see without them :( Great to see you hosting as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, shame its so light where you are, although its not pitch black where we are the torches do make a difference, plus its good fun!

      Delete
  2. Such a great idea! My boys have been taking nighttime flashlight walks with dad all week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's a lot of walks! I'm a bit behind with my blog reading, really looking forward to checking out your month outdoors

      Delete
  3. I love torches & funny enough had a conversation just today with one little boy in my class about how he has a torch in his room in case he gets scared of the dark. I got a fab set of rechargable ones from TTS. Kierna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have good fun with your new torches, ours are pump up ones (you keep pressing a lever to charge it) so we don't have to worry about new batteries all the time either.

      Delete
  4. What a perfect winter activity with long nights and shorter days.
    We need to buy some flashlights! I wish I had thought to give them as stocking stuffers for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that, ours were meant to be stocking fillers, but somehow got seen and came out early!

      Delete
  5. I must say, night time outdoor play is on my to-do list for this year. Bringing flashlights is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn, I hope you get to try it out. I'm hoping to do a night time scavenger hunt sometime too as I think the boys would love that too!

      Delete
  6. We need torches here too. The boys take them to lock up the rabbits in the evening and lock our reception shop. They are a great way to ensure they are not scared, though we do get through a lot of batteries! Thank you for linking back with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by from country kids. We have wind up torches otherwise we'd be going through the batteries too!

      Delete
  7. We take the torches while walking the dog - adds a little fun to the adventure :)

    Over from Country kids x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, like how you've spiced up your dog walking

      Delete
  8. What a great idea for helping overcome fears. Our little ones can't resist shining torches in the mouths!

    Over from Country Kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my boys are the same, I think they like to see each others glowing cheeks!

      Delete
  9. What a great idea - and my son has a good torch because of cubs and when my oldest did Duke Of Edinburgh. We have also been enjoying the dark. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear you've been enjoying the dark. Thanks or stopping by

      Delete
  10. Torches are really good fun, Bud got one in his stocking this year and we have been making dens and playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't children just love a torch in the dark! Great post. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Torches always seem to be a winner in this house!

      Delete
  12. Oh, how fun!! Such a great idea. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is a great idea. My girls are always saying they are scared of the dark.

    Thanks for linking to the Sunday showcase

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to a new Linky Party for Kid-Focused Bloggers. Monday Kid Corner is a place to share your kid-friendly activities and crafts. Please join us at www.mondaykidcorner.blogspot.com. See you there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...